Baltimore born Gaia is a rare man of both extraordinary artistry, and social conscience. Over the past 7 years, the mighty force of Gaia’s unique style has been showcased across large scale urban walls worldwide, attempting to aid positive social development by making an active impact on the surrounding community.
The name Gaia refers to the Ancient Greek earth goddess, and the artist’s output is befittingly underscored by the introduction of natural elements into the urban environment, which appear as comforting apparitions amid their often derelict urban setting. Indeed, much of his early work was inspired by an ever present, ever fearful sense of looming environmental calamity as a result of global warming. Gaia’s artworks also refers to a great interest in the history of social planning.
Large scale lino panels are hand-carved to create the negative image of Gaia’s original drawing. The panel is then inked and carefully transferred onto the stock. Gaia’s images are often built up using several large panels. The division between each is often clearly visible and has become a signature feature of many of the artist’s pieces. The artist also uses this method to create his large-scale street ‘paste-ups’ which are then wheat pasted onto walls and buildings worldwide.
The huge panel or ‘block’ for Gaia’s ‘Marlow’ artwork was drawn and hand carved on the Nelly Duff gallery floor in preparation for release at the artist’s first solo exhibition, ‘Show of Hands’.
- Gaia Deny me 3 times £350.00
- Gaia Ian Sold Out
- Gaia Earth Girl £500.00
- Gaia Mr Tony Sold Out
- Gaia Woman Scratching Lotto in Westlake, LA £1,500.00
- Gaia Julie-Anne & Her Grandmother’s Deathbed £1,500.00
- Gaia Junior Stack of Paper Sold Out
- Gaia Jaz Shooting his Wall £1,500.00
- Gaia African man holding handbags in the vatican £900.00
- Gaia Ben Eine’s hands £1,500.00
- Gaia Fabrica Recuperada £1,200.00
- Gaia Numbers gang member Sold Out
- Gaia Portrait of artist £1,150.00
- Gaia Marlow Lino cut £295.00
- Gaia Black Swan £300.00
- Gaia Hand Holding Rabbit £300.00
- Gaia Marlow Lino cut A/P £295.00
- Rabbit – Framed – Ed. 17 Sold Out