Baltimore born Gaia is a rare man of both extraordinary artistry, and social conscience. Over the past 7 years, the mighty force of Gaia’s unique style has been showcased across large scale urban walls worldwide, attempting to aid positive social development by making an active impact on the surrounding community.
The name Gaia refers to the Ancient Greek earth goddess, and the artist’s output is befittingly underscored by the introduction of natural elements into the urban environment, which appear as comforting apparitions amid their often derelict urban setting. Indeed, much of his early work was inspired by an ever present, ever fearful sense of looming environmental calamity as a result of global warming. Gaia’s artworks also refers to a great interest in the history of social planning.
Large scale lino panels are hand-carved to create the negative image of Gaia’s original drawing. The panel is then inked and carefully transferred onto the stock. Gaia’s images are often built up using several large panels. The division between each is often clearly visible and has become a signature feature of many of the artist’s pieces. The artist also uses this method to create his large-scale street ‘paste-ups’ which are then wheat pasted onto walls and buildings worldwide.
The huge panel or ‘block’ for Gaia’s ‘Marlow’ artwork was drawn and hand carved on the Nelly Duff gallery floor in preparation for release at the artist’s first solo exhibition, ‘Show of Hands’.
- GaiaBlack Swan£300.00
- GaiaMarlow Lino cut A/P£295.00
- GaiaMr Tony£1,800.00
- GaiaBen Eine’s hands£1,500.00
- GaiaJaz Shooting his Wall£1,500.00
- GaiaHand Holding Rabbit£300.00
- GaiaEarth Girl£500.00
- GaiaPortrait of artist£1,150.00
- GaiaJulie-Anne & Her Grandmother’s Deathbed£1,500.00
- GaiaNumbers gang member£1,250.00
- GaiaJunior Stack of Paper£1,500.00
- GaiaDeny me 3 times£350.00
- GaiaWoman Scratching Lotto in Westlake, LA£1,500.00
- GaiaFabrica Recuperada£1,200.00
- GaiaAfrican man holding handbags in the vatican£900.00
- Rabbit – Framed – Ed. 17£600.00
- GaiaMarlow Lino cut£295.00