While their artwork might show us whats going on inside their heads, that leaves us wondering, whats going on inside their studio? In this feature, Team Nelly gets an exclusive insight into the minds, studios and snacking habits of our brilliant artists. This week, creator and combiner of the beautiful and macabre, Dan Hillier lets us know his top ten of all things weird and wonderful.
- Favourite place to work?
Sri Lanka, plotting from a jungly/beachy nest, or actually working in my front room.
- Favourite music to listen to while working?
All sorts – today’s is Zamilska, but usually, it’s a mix of everything from old school jungle to Schubert to daimoku chanting…
- Favourite contemporary artist on the scene today?
He’s just nipped off the scene, but Howard Hodgkin is my current favourite.
- Favourite snack to power your artistic process?
- Favourite ever album cover?
Slayer – Reign in Blood.
- Favourite exhibition of 2017 (big or small!)
Treasures from the Wreck of the Unbelievable by Damien Hirst – proper amazing, inspiring, a bit gross and over the top silly.
- Favourite animal?
Treacle – Kirt’s dog, studio mascot, tireless compost bin thief and foul binge-eater.
- Favourite medium to work with?
Gold leaf / ink.
- Favourite tipple of choice after a days work?
Guinness with Tia Maria bunged in or a fizzy water!
- Favourite edition you have released/sold with Nelly Duff
Gold Cecilia Huntress.