Who is Jorge gerada?
Jorge Rodríguez-Gerada is a Cuban American contemporary artist. He is a founder of the New York Culture Jamming movement and an innovator in the international urban art scene. Since the late 90´s he has been replacing the faces of cultural icons chosen by advertisers with the faces of anonymous people to question the controls imposed on public space, the role models designated and the type of events that are guarded by the collective memory.
Rodríguez-Gerada´s unique direction was mentioned in Naomi Klein´s book No Logo and was a precursor of the use of anonymous portraits now common in street art. His spectacular interventions are created for the sake of bringing awareness to relevant social issues.
His large scale time base works avoid negative impact on the environment, challenge the conformity in contemporary art and allow for a reflection that goes beyond the completion of the piece to focus in its concept, process, and the metaphor that comes forth because of the material chosen.
Jorge gerada's Artwork
- Jorge gerada 'back door right side 120 x 110 DESTROYED' Have a Goosey Gander Sold Out +
- Jorge gerada 'back door left side 120 x 110 DESTROYED' Don't think, feel Sold Out +
- Jorge gerada 'front door right side 120 x 110 DESTROYED' Life Sold Out +
- Jorge gerada 'front door left side 120 x 110 DESTROYED' The breath of life Sold Out +
- Jorge gerada 'boot DESTROYED' Eye spy with my little eye Sold Out +
- Jorge gerada 'face – Urban Analogy # 40' The breath of life Sold Out +
- Jorge gerada 'eyes – Urban Analogy # 41' Eye spy with my little eye £2,145.00 +
- Jorge gerada 'long face – Urban Analogy # 42 – sand' Well hello beautiful Sold Out +